Catherine A. Worth, M.Sc., FAAA
Compassionate, Experienced Audiologist
I am often asked what led me to become an Audiologist. The truth is that I had never heard of the profession until my senior year of college. I started out at the University of Colorado planning to be an English Teacher. I eventually decided to pursue special education and teach English to deaf students. I transferred to another university and began taking all the required education courses and some specialized coursework in Deaf Education. It was in this pursuit that I was introduced to Audiology. There was something about the field that made me feel right at home. It required knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology, physics, acoustics.… and I get to work with people. Wow, this is more interesting. I changed course and have never regretted it.
After earning my Master of Science degree in Colorado, I was invited to do an internship at Lovelace Medical Center in Albuquerque. At that time Lovelace was well known for cutting-edge work in Otology and Audiology. In the 1960s, all the Mercury Astronauts had their hearing and balance tested at Lovelace as part of their physicals. I was the audiologist on the team that was the first in New Mexico to do a cochlear implant. I did the monitoring of hearing nerves during brain surgeries.
Dr. Donald Kilgore was the mentor who encouraged me and taught me not only technical aspects of medical Audiology but also modeled kind and caring relationships with patients. When I founded a private practice in Albuquerque in 1998, I did so with a set of values that included always doing what was in the best interest of the patient.
After spending over 20 years in my private practice, I decided to retire and do some traveling. Fortunately, I got some long-awaited trips in prior to Covid halting all travel. The pandemic has affected us all. For me, I thought about what I value and what truly brings me joy. Of course, my three granddaughters are a constant source of joy and laughter. But my work has also brought me immense joy and satisfaction throughout my life. It is with that renewed realization and energy that I decided to open an Audiology practice in Santa Fe dedicated to being the best at what we do. These aspirations allow us to give our patients individualized treatment geared to helping them live the most engaged and healthy lives possible, using the best treatment solutions available.
Honors & Awards
- Scholar Award for outstanding commitment to professional excellence- American Academy of Audiology - 2003-2008
- Board Certification in Audiology – American Academy of Audiology- 1999
- Who’s who in the West – listed 1994-1995
- National Distinguished Service Registry – Speech, Language and Hearing- In recognition of dedication and performance – 1990. Library of Congress No. 90-71200
- Fellowship of the Association – New Mexico Speech, Language and Hearing Association, In recognition of professional and/or scientific achievement, for outstanding service to the association- 1989
- Emerging Leaders Award – American Speech, Language and Hearing Association 1987
- Grant Recipient – Central Auditory Function in Alcoholics, 1991. Intramural funding: Lovelace Medical Center.
- President, New Mexico Speech-Language and Hearing Association, 1993-1994
- Chair, New Mexico Speech-Language Pathologists, Audiologists and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board, 2010-2012
Meet Catherine A. Worth, M.Sc., FAAA - Schedule Your Appointment Today
To experience compassionate hearing care, schedule your Complimentary New Patient Consultation today by calling (505) 772-9300. You may also click here for our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Thorough Hearing Assessment
- Custom Treatment Plan
- Start Treatment If Desired
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our hearing aid options, advanced treatments and technology, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us!
Capital Hearing Care is a member of the International Excellence in Audiology network
We're proud to offer cutting-edge treatment for hearing loss and tinnitus. Call today to make an appointment